Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On Fasting...!!

After a very long time I am fasting today. It’s very unlike me. I am always against fasting, as I believe what’s the need of keeping oneself hungry. I also believe all the fasting is for girls and women only.

In our Hindu culture it’s fasting every second day. Today is also one of such occasion and I am fasting today because my mammi (mom) is attending a marriage in other town. She’ll come after a week or so and I take my food at my cousin’s home and everybody else there is on fast today. I don’t want to bother my bhabhi for making special food for me and therefore I decided to break my own record and fasting today.

So today am willingly abstaining from all the delicious things that I could have eat if it was a normal day. I am missing my regular food too much.
But I am very positive so I am googling benefits of fasting right now. :)

9 comments:

  1. There is no mantra superior to the Gayatri mantra,
    there is no God superior to the Mother,
    there is no water more purifying than River Ganges.
    there is no fast/austerities superior than the Ekadasi..


    //I don’t want to bother my bhabhi for making special food for me //
    U are great.. Ram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...as Muslims...we believed that Fasting open our eyes towards those who fast due to poverty and not having enough food...so in this way we understand how poverty may make one feel tire and unhappy...

    The philosophy is to take care of less privileged.

    Anyways...I am happy that you suffer for your bhabi which shows how much you care about people around you...

    Keep your good self as it is....hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thilaga: thnx so much.. but am nt dat great.. :))

    A Daft Scots Lass: thnx :)

    Thinking: its so good to knwo about ur culture.
    thnx.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh nice..I too fasted this year but I did it only coz my grandmom wanted me to :) otherwise am not much of a believer in it specially bcoz I don't think keeping a fast can fetch a good looking husband :D
    And yeah..there are wayy too manyyy fasts in Hindu culture..some don't even have any significance!

    Btw..HI :D Its been a long time ! Nice to c ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh......seriously....the blog started to remind me my coll days again...wen we have to keep fast for the days wen aunti use to say like "nhi beta aaj sirf chhole chaval hai"
    and u....happy with a patty... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sugar cube - hii, same here.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. erm... you can'T understand my translation? :D I'm too bad in english ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ram: i also have same thought as u have on fasting...
    usually i dont want to starve on name of fasting...
    everyone should eat and stay healthy..

    ReplyDelete